In honour of The Mindy Project returning for its third season, we present seven facts that you might not know about our favourite funny lady.
Story by Nimritta Parmar
1. Her real name is Vera Mindy Chokalingam. She was given the middle name Mindy by her mother, who was a fan of the sitcom Mork and Mindy, starring the late Robin Williams.
2. When she was 19, she was in an intern at Late Night with Conan O’Brien for three years. She names O’Brien as her hero, and her teenaged dream was to write for his show. Since then, she has appeared as a guest on the show twice. We’d say thats a one-up!
3. She earned her first big success from a screenplay she wrote with her friend Brenda. The play was about the relationship between Matt Damon (played by Brenda) and Ben Affleck (played by Mindy). The play was called, simply enough, Matt & Ben, and it was featured in Time magazine as one of the “Top Ten Theatrical Events of the Year.”
4. You may recall Mindy in one of her earlier roles, as Paul Rudd’s ex-girlfriend in The 40-Year Old Virgin. Remember, the one he was obsessed with winning back? (We would be too Paul). The movie featured Steve Carrell, whom Mindy starred alongside in The Office earlier that same year.
5. Few people know that Mindy wasn’t just one of the stars of The Office, but also one of the writers (and the only female one at that). While working in the writers room, she lived off of a diet of Sour Patch Kids, licorice, and Umami Burgers (Sadly, she has since swapped these for “healthier” choices).
6. Mindy Lahiri’s obsession with romantic comedies on The Mindy Project was inspired by the real life Mindy. Like her TV counterpart, When Harry Met Sally is one of her favourites.
7. One of Mindy’s most memorable exes is B.J. Novak, who was her co-star, and on-screen boyfriend on The Office. The two remain close – he even guest-starred on The Mindy Project. He played the guy who went out with Mindy but ended up dumping her at the Empire State Building on Valentines Day because he realized he was in love with his best friend. What a chump.