Are you a grammar wizard who often corrects people’s use of the words their, there and they’re?
Jugni Style is looking for an ace writer for our Culture section. You should be interested in commenting on international film, music from the South Asian diaspora and South Asia, new books, and the latest in local, North American and international pop culture.
Us: Jugni Style is an online lifestyle magazine for the Canadian woman, with a focus on all things South Asian. We love clothes, make-up and eating, just as much as we love reading, traveling and checking out the latest theatre production or art exhibit.
The Jugni Style woman follows fashion trends from around the world, shops designer, high street and vintage, eats sushi and gulab jamuns, and has A Fine Balance, Shopaholic and Eat, Pray, Love on her bookshelf.
You: A motivated, experienced writer/blogger with excellent grammar. You have a passion for writing, are opinionated about pop culture, and enjoy commenting about the music of Beyonce, MIA and Priyanka Chopra. You love to watch movies, enjoy visiting the odd play or exhibit, and are not shy about interviewing an artist for a story. You also like making lists like, “10 summer movies to watch that are not about romance,” or “5 books to read on vacation.” A sense of humour and the ability to write witty, tongue-in-cheek commentary is a must.
- Help develop monthly content calendar for Culture section of Jugni Style’s online magazine
- Pitch and contribute content for weekly online issues
- Compile images for online stories
- Research, write interview questions and conduct interviews
- Article copywriting, editing and fact checking
- Communicate and coordinate with interviewees, photographers, social media intern, etc.
- Share ideas and brainstorming in team meetings
- Attend events and network
Experience and Skills Required:
- Identify with the Jugni Style brand – a fun, chic lifestyle
- Have excellent writing, grammar and proofreading skills
- Experience with writing for digital media or blogging
- Experience using twitter, facebook pages, pinterest and instagram
- Experience interviewing and writing feature stories
- Organized, able to meet deadlines and detail oriented
- Can work independently and remotely – our team is located across the world!
- Have your own computer and internet connection
- Looking to build a career in digital publishing, fashion writing and online journalism
If you’re looking to gain experience with a growing digital lifestyle brand and expand your already impressive writing portfolio, send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Culture Writer” in the subject. Please include your availability, relevant writing and/or editing samples, as well as social media links.