From July 4 – 13, experience Indian Summer Festival, our favourite series of events to feed your love for music, intellectual stimulation, delicious food and stylish people to boot.
Herewith, our top 5 reasons to attend Indian Summer Festival.
1. People watching, style spotting and aloo tikki eating. The Opening Gala is the perfect blend of music, culinary performance (Vikram Vij curates the special menu) and fashionable people wearing gorgeous saris and kurtas. Bonus: Enter our Where the World Meets Contest to win 4 tickets for you and your friends to the Opening Gala.
2. An intimate talk with filmmaker Deepa Mehta (Fire, Earth, Water, Midnight’s Children), who will speak about her movies and Canadian identity at a special event with writer Jeet Thayil. Read our interview with Deepa Mehta about her film Midnight’s Children.
3. The Lit and Sound Cabaret is a heady mix of spoken word, tamarind spiked cocktails, video installations and musical collaborations. Bring your friends, it was one of our favourite events at last year’s festival.
4. Embrace your inner nerd. The festival is all about diversity and ideas, and two events we’ve circled on our calendar are “Reluctant Rebellion” with celebrated author Shauna Singh Baldwin (What the Body Remembers, The Tiger’s Claw), and “Reclamation/Exclamation,” a panel that looks at history, identity and storytelling.
5. Shabana Azmi thinks it’s fabulous. “I think what Indian Summer Festival is doing is bringing our art in the way we tell it, not just to the community, not just to the diaspora, but also to the mainstream.”
Jugni Style is happy to support Indian Summer Festival as a community partner. We love them and you will too. A festival of arts, ideas and diversity, Indian Summer Festival runs from July 4 – 13 in Vancouver.