For years, women thought that when a man’s gaze lingered on their face, he would be taken in by their beautiful eyes. However, according to research by Manchester University, (yes, we’re not making this up), lips, more than eyes, skin, or hair, hold a man’s attention.
Dr. Geoff Beattie, Dean of Psychology at England’s University of Manchester found that men will gaze at women’s lips for an average of 7 seconds, compared to 0.95 seconds for eyes and 0.85 for hair.
And get this! If a woman has applied lipstick, then a guy will find it even more difficult to look away. Beattie’s research also goes as far as stating, a dash of pink lipstick will hold a male’s attention for up to 6.7 seconds but if she’s adorning a shade of red lipstick, she’ll lock him in for a whopping 7.3 seconds.
We’ve always known the power of red or a strong fuchsia lipstick, but now we have the research to back it up. Bollywood vixens Aishwarya Rai-Bachchan, Bipasha Basu and the legendary Rekha have known this for years. And Hollywood hotties Angelina Jolie, Kim Kardashian and Rihanna have been rocking the bold beautiful colours on the red carpet.
There are a variety of shades for you to choose from at different price points of course.
Our fave shades of pink:
- M.A.C in Gulabi
- Guerlain Rouge Le Brillant Serie Noire in Fuchsia
- Nars in Funnyface
Our fave shades of red:
- Maybelline in Red Revival
- Cover Girl Lip Perfection in Hot
- Chanel in Rouge Allure
Now that you know the power of bold lips, emit your own magnetic energy by applying the colours correctly.
- First moisturize your lips.
- Line your lips with a matching lip pencil and fill in your lips with it as well. This will help the lipstick last longer.
- For a precise application, use a lip brush to apply your lipstick. Blot once, then reapply.
- Put a tiny bit of vanilla eye shadow in your cupid’s bow to make your lips pop.
- For the matte look stop here, but to create the illusion of fullness, dab gloss on the bottom lip.
Story by: Sukhi Ghuman