The Great Gatsby opens in theatres this May, and we are so excited to see this epic tale re-imagined onscreen. Oh, who are we kidding, Leonardo DiCaprio is coming to a theatre-near-us!
Herewith, 5 reasons why we’re excited about The Great Gatsby:
1. Jewelry: The exquisite pieces created by Tiffany & Co. for the film are divine. We had a chance to view pieces from the Ziegfield Collection, which are more affordable pieces inspired by the same era as The Great Gatsby. Take it from us, it’s time to switch your jewelry to Art Deco-inspired pieces with pavé, pearl and filigree details.
2. Literature: Epic movies like The Great Gatsby give us a reason to pick up a classic book and read, versus checking Twitter and posting to Tumblr before bed. Tip: Read the book after watching the film for optimal viewing pleasure, because the book is always better than the film (we’re talking to you, Harry Potter series).
3. Fashion: It’s the 20s. Flapper girls, sequins and stones, long strings of pearls, cigarette filters (we don’t condone smoking but a prop can’t hurt)…it was an elegant period and the costumes are to die for. And we’re sure Carrie Mulligan will inspire a slew of short bobs this summer.
4. The Music! Produced by Jay Z and the man who brought us Romeo + Juliet and Moulin Rouge, the soundtrack features Lana Del Rey, Goyte, Jay Z, Beyonce (obvs) and a bunch other musicians worth listening too. Listen to it here.
5. Actors: Amitabh Bachchan makes his Hollywood debut in a cameo appearance with Leonardo DiCaprio. ‘Nuff said.
The Great Gatsby opens in theatres across the USA and Canada on May 10, and at the Cannes International Film Festival on May 15.
Photography: Jewelry from Jugni Style and Tiffany & Co., film still via The Great Gatsby Facebook.