The mercury is rising and the beaches are packed. That means only one thing: summer grilling season has begun (and it's time for that bikini wax). So break out the barby for Chef Gurj Dhaliwal's delectable grilled pizza – but be warned, once you debut this delicious pizza, your friends will be asking you to host all the barbeques this summer.
It's true, traditional pizza is Italian and not barbequed, but instead of calling your local pizza delivery joint, give this simple recipe a try. There are a few “secrets of the trade” in making your own pizza, but once you know them, it’s easy, it’s fresh and it will surely impress your friends. This recipe teaches you how to make your dough from scratch, and instead of slaving in front of a hot oven in your kitchen, you get to fire up the BBQ and grill to perfection.
Grilled Naan Flatbread with Masala Chicken, Tomato Chutney & Paneer
- In a glass-measuring cup, combine the yeast and sugar. Add water and stir well. Then let the mixture rest until it becomes foamy for about 5 minutes.
- Sift together the flour and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour the yeast mixture and oil into the center. Mix together with your fingers until a smooth dough forms, working in a small amount of additional flour as needed.
- Knead for 3 minutes; then oil a small bowl with the remaining oil. Place the dough into the bowl, turning in around to be coated in the oil. Next let the dough rest until it has doubled in size. This will take approximately 1 hour.
- Begin tomato chutney by sautéing together onions, garlic, ginger, & the vegetable oil over medium heat for 5minutes. Then add your garam masala & cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the canned tomato, fresh tomato, red wine vinegar & sugar. Continue to cook over medium heat until the chutney becomes thick, about 25 minutes.
- Marinate the chicken breasts with the store bought curry paste & vegetable oil.
- Pre-heat your grill to 450⁰ F. & grill the chicken breast for 4-5 minutes on each side until fully cooked through. Let the chicken cool down & rest for 5 minutes before slicing into long thin pieces.
- When the naan dough has doubled in size, punch it down & divide it into 2 balls. Using a rolling pin & flour as needed, roll out the naan dough in either a long oval shape or round ball.
- Using a paper towel wipe the grill with vegetable oil.
- Place the rolled out naan dough directly onto the grill, & cook for 2 minutes on both sides until dark brown & good grill marks have been achieved.
- Next, take your naan off the grill and assemble the flatbread.
- Start off by covering your naan with the tomato chutney then add on the sliced chicken, paneer & fresh chopped cilantro.
- Place the naan- flatbread back onto the grill for 1-2 minutes with the BBQ closed in order to warm through all the toppings & make the naan even crispier.